Friday, May 8, 2009

What breed is for me?

What Breed of Dog is the most intimidating looking, but with the softest heart and personality?
I want a dog that is fiersome to look at, but one who would more then love to be around kids and a small min pin.
Bottom line is, I dont want the anger, I just want the looks.
Answers:
pitbulls...i have two and one of them is the biggest sweetheart and loves absolutely everyone and the other everyone is afraid of but loves me and others it trusts to death. perfect dog when it comes to this question mean looking/caring at heart
I used to have a boxer-rottweiler mix. He was the sweetest dog in the world, but he looked mean as heck! I would say a boxer.
boxer from a reputable breeder they are good with kids look fierce (well kinda) some are dog friendly and they are very gentle. But one from a bad breeder is the exact opposite
I have a boxer mix %26 everyone is afraid of her when I take her on a walk. Little do they know that the only thing they're in danger of is being slowly licked to death. ;-)

Edited to add: My boxer mix was my first dog, but we have recently adopted a new male dog that is very girly %26 prissy. He prances around %26 is often mistaken for the female dog! :) I too enjoy having exact opposites.
Well - outside of fiersome looks what else are you willing to tolerate?
I've been around plenty of Dobermans and I've yet to meet one that has a bite worse than it's bark. They're VERY good at appearing aggressive and scary.. yet all of the ones I've been around are as sweet as can be.
One of my good friend's has a Dobie and she plays with my Chihuahua and my dog beats her up.
She's also been around my 2 and 4 year old neices and has never been at all aggressive towards them. If anything she treats them like puppies and follows them around, making sure they're okay, licking their faces constantly.
However... they need a lot of exercise and at the very least a large backyard because they're full of energy.
Why the desire for a tough looking dog?
I would also definitely agree with a Boxer.. but I would stay away from German Shepherds.. they can be unpredictable.
Rottweiler definately! My grandpa owns a Rottweiler as a watch dog, she was trained by the police. Anway, she is the sweetest thing once you get to know her, although she looks fearsome and mean. If you don't get your Rottweiler trained to protect, I bet she will be sweet and kind. Make sure you get her from a breeder as a puppy. There's a great breeder in Iowa, but I'm not sure where. I think somewhere near Des Moines?
Also, look into German Shepards on petfinder.com, there are loads of sweet German Shepards on there! They are just the sweetest and kindest things! Good luck!
I would no doubt go for a boxer. I've got a boxer and an american bulldog. The bulldog has a little pissy side to him, but he's a male and it comes with the territory. My boxer is awesome. Everyone I've known that's had a boxer, they look mean and my parents always said.. "they can turn on you!" But they have no idea what they're talking about. I've had her for about 2-3 years, and she's never bitten, or even snapped at anyone. Just really make sure she's used to the human touch when she's young, and treat her like a child. Definately go for the boxer.
Oh, and what jordii said, a rottwieler? Unless you want a 120 pound dog, maybe.. She also said it was trained by the POLICE... not a normal human being
I would have to say either Mastiff or Boxer. they both are great with kids and are big kids at heart.
A great dane. People are scared to death of my two girls (both are about 180 pounds) and they are the biggest babies I've ever seen! They are fantastic with my 3-year-old and they even tolerate my Napoleonic wire fox terrier! They are wonderful, gentle, intelligent dogs but look intimidating because of their size...and the fact that they will look you right in the eyes and stare you down! LOL! If you decide on a dane, find a quality reputable breeder; they can have serious genetic health problems if carelessly bred. Good luck!
I have a Lab/Shepard mix. Very intimadating and very load bark but very sweet as well. Plus they are very smart. Typically Shepards and Labs make good police dogs and have been well know to be gentle when they should but very protective when they need to be.
One of my dogs looks so mean (not to me, but to others) and she is some sort of lab/pit mix... the funny thing is that she is THE lap dog. She loves people, loves kids. She is more a people dog than a dog/dog.
I can walk with her and feel safe. My other dog looks cute and friendly but she is the one is more protective and more barky.
You can go to any shelter and you will find a pit, or pit mix. I go to the shelter once a week to socialize with cats, but I go see the dogs with my mentor volunteer, and the dogs are so cute, but I am sure most people would think they look "scary"
www.petfinder.com
maybe an american bull dog.
A Doberman! I am on my second one and they are truly wonderful to have around kids. Make sure you get a pup, that way he/she will start fresh with your family and be very loyal and loving.
My Dobie looks so fierce and will be very protective and on alert with strangers until he sees that the person is a welcomed guest. Once that is established he is a big mush.
If I don't let my Dobie know that this person is welcomed, then he will be on alert the whole time. I've seen my Dobie keep unwelcomed tresspassers at bay until I give the it's ok command. It truly is amazing how loving and loyal they are to
their families.
I know you said you only wanted a dog that looks fierce, with a Dobie you get a dog that not only has the looks but is very loving and can back up his fierce look if need be!
First of all, you shouldn't base your choice in breed by what looks the meanest. Every dog has breed specific needs, and whether or not you can provide for those needs should be the basis of your decision. Try the breed selector at animal planet's web site. It will help to match you with dogs that are right for your lifestyle, and then you can go by looks from there.
Well most people say English mastiff's are very gentle, even though they appear fierce, but I wouldn't trust them, I love all dogs except bull/English mastiffs. Why? I witnessed my friend get attacked by one. So I don't recommend them.
Rotie's are okay too, but I don't have much experience with them
Great dane's are huge and are VERY gentle giants, I've actually SEEN great dane's let little kids ride on their backs
Doberman dogs are used as guard dogs often, but they truly are gentle giants, and personally, I think they are adorable, my neighbor has one and it's so friendly.
Pit bulls can be gentle too, but I wouldn't adopt a rescued one, they can be unpredictable, I'd get a young pup or an 8 week old puppy.
But I think the BEST dog you can get is a Labrador. Which I have. They are often used as police dogs, guard dogs, etc. But they are the BEST family orientated dog and they have a heart of gold. My lab is amazing, and I also recommend a yellow lab, like I have, because black labs and brown labs shed (so do yellow labs) but when they shed you can SEE the black and brown hair on the floor, the yellow lab's hair is harder to spot on the floor. My Pup is truly the best dog I will ever have and you should REALLY get one. They are also great hunting dogs, if you hunt, and they LOVE to play. You'll never get bored with a lab!
i read your responses and you have had some good answers. but somehow i see you with a wolf dog. i dont know why i just saw it my head when i read your question. wolf dogs are gorgeous, loving and intelligent..and rare! many people are taken back when they see one because they look wild. hey if your looking for a dog you can take my jack rustle....he is driving me inssssssaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnee...

No comments:

Post a Comment