Friday, May 8, 2009

What breed is my puppy?

I recently adopted a puppy from a local shelter and am interested in finding out what breed he is mixed with. All I know for sure is that his mom is a shar-pei. He is a very big boy, growing very fast at 3 months and a little over 30lbs...The people at the shelter said he might be mixed with great dane mainly because of his size, but I also think he looks a bit like a shepherd. So far he's a great dog, he picks up on training very fast and is extremely sociable. I need some other opinions on what he might be mixed with!..I included two pics, hope anyone can give me some insight!
http://img518.imageshack.us/my.php?image...
http://img510.imageshack.us/my.php?image...
Answers:
AWWW!! he is gorgeous!..and good for you for adopting!..the shelter people are right..he does look like he might have some Great Dane in him..i don't see any Shar-Pei at all...yeah i think there might be some shepherd in there...you can also order kits to get his DNA tested so you know exactly what he is...but if its not that important to you and people ask say "I am the good person that adopted a shelter dog. I love him and he has been a great companion. I don't really care what type of dog he is as long as he is happy and healthy" or something like that...or " he was a shelter dog..all we know is that his mom was a shar-pei"...but if none of this appeals to you just get his DNA tested.
Hope i wasn't too harsh on you..but the truth is you adopted a shelter dog(GO YOU!), you got him out of his misery(GO YOU!), and what you know is what you know and you cant change that except with an expensive DNA test..just be happy that you have your dog and he is happy and healthy...GOOD LUCK!
http://www.metamorphixinc.com
you can order a kit to have your dog's DNA tested to find out what breed it is
I have a GSD he deff has it in him. GSD that is.
AWE! I'm not sure, really but he is a cutie! with BIG feet, mayby some great dane somewhere in there?
Thank you for saving a pet!
He definitely looks like a Dane/Shar Pei. I think the shelter folks are right.
He does sort of look like a GSD too. Maybe he's a Shar Pei X Dane/GSD
Nobody ever said he was just two breeds togethor.
What a cutie!
There does look like a bit of great dane in him.
congrats on your new pal %26 hope you have many happy years together:)
You can get him DNA tested to find out for sure. But it looks to me somewhere like a dane.
He is so cute! I think that he has some German Shepherd Dog in him.
I'd say that German shepherd is a pretty good guess (and let's face it, even with a DNA test you're still coming down to a best educated guess...DNA testing can narrow the field considerably but they only have about 30 breeds and don't include some common breeds like Danes). At three months and a little over 30lbs, the size is about right for a large GSD. My GSD boy is 28" tall and 75lbs at just over a year and a half...he was around 30lbs when we brought him home at 14 weeks, my boy is pretty big but I think he'll stop growing before he becomes as gainormous as some GSDs I've met. Great Dane is possible (with a shelter dog of unknown origin anything is possible) but personally I would expect him to be a little bigger if that were the case.
I would say he looks like a German Shepard deffinately and mixed with a Great Dane, I don't see any Shar-Pei in him at all. Shar-Pei's are ugly as H*ll, if he had Shar-Pei in him his face would be REALLY short and he would have VERY loose skin. Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment