Sunday, August 2, 2009

What do you think?

Many people in here get upset when they are refered to as Backyard Breeders or Puppy Mills because of their breeding practices.
Please look at this news story:
http://www.local6.com/news/11457338/deta...

This is the mess that one BYB left here in Florida. She was selling her puppies to pet stores and on the internet. Rescue is now over flowing with these poor, unhealthy, non-socialized creatures.
When you go to the pet store and see those cute little puppies, think of this story and realize where they came from!
So, when people get rough on you in here for asking about your dog's "period", or when to mate your "puggle", or how much to sell your yorkalabradoodles for, can you understand that it is us, the reputable breeders, who has to clean up after you?
Does anyone else feel this way too?
Answers:
Thanks for sharing this story. It is a sad one, but hapens too often when someone thinks they can make a living off of breeding dogs. To make any money off of breeding dogs...you have to have many litters and many dogs to do it...plus spend little money so...forget genetic testing and veterinary care. I remember a cocker spaniel kennel found this way years ago.our cocker spaniel club spend hours shaving down matted to the skin dogs...many who were so matted, male dogs were sterile because matting around thier testicles were so tight, it cut off circulation. Many puppies found were so under weight, it's a miracle they survived.adult dogs so thin they only weighed 12 pounds (average cocker weighs about 25 lbs). Our cocker club helped the local humane society nurse these dogs and puppies to health and helped find homes for them. The breeder was charged with animal abuse and fined and breeding rights taken away by AKC. It angered me emensly that someone could be so selfish.
I don't think you were being stuck up like one answerer stated, at all...you were trying to open eyes of people who breed or want to breed thier dog with no knowlege at all. This was educational to many who don't realize the seriousness of what is going on in this country with BYB. When people on here critisize BYB and puppy mills...this is why.because they have seen this and many have no clue how bad kennels like this can be. I think it may take someone to exprience a scene like this..it's not pretty.I find it funny that the sign entering her property said "by appointment only" .I guess she had to be prepared to have people over to see her kennel.and do a quick "clean up" before people came by to visit.
That is a puppy mill.
I think only people with the adaquate means and knowledge should breed dogs at all. If you have to ask about breeding your dog in any way shape or form spay or neuter. If you knew what you were doing you wouldn't have to ask. Hats off to you for bring this to everyones attention and I agree with you 100%
Wow, you are "special" now aren't you? How exactly do "you" clean up after those BYB's? Just so you know, I am NOT a breeder of any sort, nor do I own or work for a pet store, and I am not involved in any way with any part of the above mentioned. I just find it rather "stuck up" if you will, to generalize. I am sure you are a good breeder and I don't agree with those who are doing such horrible things as you brought to our attention. But I don't agree with people stating that they are better than all others. Maybe you didn't mean to do that, maybe you did. But if you feel so strongly about it then take action. Try to lobby and put a stop to such organizations. I have personally witnessed a "home service breeding business" and it really disgusted me. This world does need more or should I say "need only" breeders as yourself. And that was not typed to be sarcastic, but to be honest about a clean operation as I hope you have as you say you do which I do believe. (smile)
I am of the opinion that no one should be breeding dogs - good, bad, or ugly. Ours is a crisis situation and anyone who makes their living, even under the best of circumstances for the female dog, should go to work themselves and not place the burden paying the bills on their bit*%26. I do recoginze that their are reputable breeders. Ones that care about the breed and keeping the bloodlines clean as not to breed in flaws, etc. I usually find they are AKC certified and that is about it. Backyard breeders is everyone's problem. Be you for it, or against it. Dogs dying shouldn't be casual dinner conversation.
Sad what people will do for a fast buck. No work just trying to make a profit.

No comments:

Post a Comment