Sunday, August 2, 2009

What does my dogs submissive behavior towards me mean?

I have an American Eskimo dog who I have had for nine years. Most of the time he is playful and happy but it seems whenever I approach him his ears flatten and his tail goes between his legs. He's never barked growled or bit me and I have never hit, been rough or even really raised me voice at him. He will cuddle with me and play with me but he always seems a little submissive and nervous. I know I'm supposed to be the "alpha" in the "pack" or whatever, but it makes me sad to think he doesn't trust me or he is afraid or doesn't like me or something. Can some one who understands dog behavior help me understand?
Answers:
It's getting so there's not one word in the English language I hate more than the word "alpha"!!
Your dog is 9 years old! Sounds like this totally new behaviour for him. He's doing his best to let you know that he's not feeling well - there's something wrong with him and he needs to get to his vet to get checked out.
Older dogs need more frequent check-ups, complete with geriatric blood work. Things can change so very quickly as they age. Please take him in for a check-up.
It's normal submissive behavior. He is not showing fear by lowering his head and tail, he is showing respect. He is just a naturally submissive dog and readily accepts you as his leader, which actually shows he trusts you. Remember, lowering the head and cowering in fear, are two totally different things.
He might just be a nervous dog who sees you as his leader. If he didn't trust you, I think he would be displaying more dominant behaviour in order to take control and to control YOU.
Was he abused before you got him?
I second walkinglady's idea that he might be trying to tell you that something is wrong. Is this new behaviour, or has he always been like this?
It may be how you are approaching him...talk softly to him when you approach and hold out your hand and then when he comes to you he can smell your hand. Dogs are generally submissive to their owners, they recognize you as 'the boss' or 'the big dog'...I would just sit with him ..dont look him directly in the eyes because if you stare at him it will also make him submissive..when you stare into his eyes you are telling him to do so. Just get down on the floor, talk softly to him, and a lot of petting never hurts. Good luck. =o))
Some dogs are just more nervous and more submissive than others. If he has never been abused or had someone be rough with him then it's just his nature and it would be very hard to try to change it. If his submissive/nervous behavior is not including growling ect I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe instead of approaching him stay a ways back and get him to come to you, use a treat and kind words that may help him be less nervous, he could just feel a little threatened when you come into his space.
It's a natural behavior for dogs to act submissive to the dominant/alpha dog of the pack. My dog behaves the same with me - especially when she sees me when I first come home.
I would think the longer you have a dog, the more respectful, submissive they would be at times just to reiterate that they understand their place in the scheme of things.
I wouldn't be horribly concerned about the behavior - but I understand how it can feel. When my dog behaves this way it almost makes me think she's afraid of me, or like she thinks she's in trouble for something when nothing is wrong.
When she's like that, I just make sure to be overly playful and friendly with her so she realizes she's welcome and accepted.. and that's usually enough to get to go back to her normal behavior.
Your dog has displayed this behaviour for 9 years now? Basically what your dog is trying to tell you is that he is not confident and it may have nothing to do with you, it may just be him and it also is something that should have been looked into many years ago as now it will take a lot longer to build his confidence.
Building his confidence requires a lot more than I can offer on this forum. If you want to change this behavior to get a more confident dog, I would suggest that you consult with a behaviorist and see if they are willing to work with you and your dog. This is something that can be fixed, but it will take time and you will probably need the outside help of a behaviourist.
Good luck with your dog!
I wouldn't worry too much. Though it isn't typical, my dog will sometimes do this when my father approaches her, and she's lived with us for 14 years. She respects him and sees him as the alpha dog - he's the head of the household, so it's only natural. Perhaps your dog is merely showing you respect. There's also a small possibility that perhaps your pup was abused previous to you getting him - but that's just a wild guess. My dog had been abused, and it took her a while to fully trust us, and as I said she still acts submissive and respectful to my father. Maybe your dog's bad memories are sticking with it?
first,i would recommend a good training program.i had a beautiful Husky that would do the same thing,except he did go after me.(he was very Alpha,and i didnt know better)I had to put him down and wish be would have been better trained in the first place,its just that kind of breed.Husky@Am.eskimos@such are a lot alike in behavior.please get help,now,before it becomes a serious issue.he could be ill,or someone has intimidated him without your knowledge,or you could be unknowingly playing into the matter and making it worse without realizing what you're doing wrong.good luck.Rowan
This is just his temperment/personality. He's a submissive and shy dog. You are not going to change his temperment, however, you can influence his behavior even at 9 years. Get some dried liver treats (these are really good for him), dogs love them. We use them in the show ring for "baiting" dogs in conformation and for training rewards. Keep them close to where you "hang out". When he approaches you, or you approach him, talk softly to him like "good boy", "good dog", encouraging him to come close, praising him, letting him know that coming close is a good thing. Reward him with the treats. After a short period, he will associate getting close to you with praise and treats. This will help his shyness and help him to gain more confidence in himself. He will learn that coming close and approaching can bring BIG rewards. Dogs love praise. I use praise almost solely in training as treats are not always available. Dogs respond positively to the praise we give them.
Be persistent and consistent. It takes some time. Good luck.
May Be your Eskimo dog fills nervous because you don't make times to go out and binned with your Eskimo!

No comments:

Post a Comment