Sunday, August 2, 2009

What do you with a quarantined dog?

Long story, I got a black newfoundland puppy for my birthday and she was born in april. Two weeks after I got her (she was 3 mths. old), my other dog (pitbull mix 3 yr. old male) and her were outside when we found a dead raccoon. We went to go run errands so we let them hang out in the backyard. We called Animal Control to pick up the dead raccoon and they contacted the Health Dept. The only choice they gave us was to either put her to sleep or quarantine for 6 months. We ended up quarantining her to her own space in the yard w/o any human contact or animal contact. The Health Dept. guy knows she doesnt have rabies and knows we are going to let her out. She has never showed any signs of rabies. Lately though, she has become really depressed. She barely eats and walks around. She isnt as vibrant as she use to be. Is there any foods I can give her to fatten up, any toys she can interact with to keep her busy. Do they have to keep her there for 6 month? Do they have a right to do that?
Answers:
This sounds totally crazy to me. When an animal is quarantined It's kept by some sort of animal control not caged off from human contact on your own property. No wonder she is depressed having to go through this.
Unless an animal has been taken to a country with quarantine restrictions where an animal has to be kept for 3-6 months (it's never with you) I have never heard of a quarantine lasting more than 21 days at the very most. Usually more like 10-14 days. We had a dog that had bitten at our shelter a few weeks back and I'm sure it was only 10 day quarantine.
I would look into the legality of this. It really does not seem right to me.
JR you don;t have that option where I live for sure. It maybe different in different places, but I know 100% where I live self qurantine is NOT an option.
If the raccoon tested postive for rabies then yes you have to keep for quarantined. She could of gotten rabies from the raccoon. if you let her out before the 6 moths are up and the Health Department finds out they can come in and take your dog. It is their right and responsiblity to keep the public safe. Good Luck.
I don't really understand, if they have determined that the raccoon did not have rabies why do you need to quarantine her still? And why for 6 months? What I have read seems to indicate 14 days as the usual quarantine time frame for a possible exposure. But I am dismayed as to why it would continue if it is shown the animal did not have rabies.
Anyway that said personally I would let her in my home and give her my attention by playing with her. I would not let her have contact with other (outside) animals or humans but I would personally have contact with her and let her play with the other dog with whom she found the raccoon and all the toys that they own. Of course this is just my personal choice, it is up to you what you choose to do.
Wow, six months during such a crucial time? When my dog got quarantined for possible exposer to rabies, they only told me to cage the dog for two weeks. That's a long time. Did you get a second opinion for this.
quarantine for a rabies scare where i live is 10 days. unfortunately they took the carcass away, you could have paid to have it checked for rabies by a university or veterinarian (animals must be deceased to check if they had it). i would talk to a vet or another person at animal control to see if you really need to keep her quarantine for 6 months. you didn't mention your other dog needing the same quarantine. if the older dog isn't in quarantine then your pup shouldn't be either.
She is 12 wks old and hasn't had a rabies shot? What state do you live in? I would say I wouldn't isolate her of course she is depressed one sec. life is great the next, alone. First off the signs of Rabies show up in 1-3 months so why do you have to isolate her for 6 months? Also rabies is more rare then they make it out to be. I would forget the incident ever happened and mabe someone should call animal control on that guy! What a moron besides if the animal was already dead when the dogs found it then they couldn't have been bite by it! Forget about it let the poor dog out.
Excerpt from article below..." The record of animal control starts in 1964. From 1964 to 1978 there were zero cases of dog rabies in the county. Magically in 1978 rabies vaccine was mandated to be given every year and all dogs tagged and licensed."
10 DAYS!!
Call the vets animal control again.
If the dog was exposed to rabies it will break with it within ten days.
Did they test the raccoon?
She isn't as "vibrant" because she is locked away from her family!
Added:
Diane:
You DO have the option to quarantine a pet yourself. However; most don't. Its a big responsibility if a dog bites another dog or a human than it must be qaurantined. People can do it themselves.
I don't know what state you live in, but these people are not alloted unlimited power under the constitution like that. They can't just come into your yard, make demands, take your dog or kill it without a court order. You need to call legal aid or an attorney. Nobody quarantines for 6mo that I have heard of. If an unvaccinated dog bites someone here, it is taken into quarantine for ten days. I don't even think rabies has the ability to have a 6mo incubation period? You need some legal advice, not dog advice.
When you allow anyone who thinks they have some authority to push you around like this it hurts everyone in society. The Constitution was written for a reason. But your rights are only worth what you are willing to defend them from. Unless this idiot comes to your door with a court order, they have no power.

No comments:

Post a Comment