Friday, May 21, 2010

What dog breed should I get?

Well I realy want a dog, and im thinking about what breed I should get. I prob wont be able to get one any time soon. possibly within the year, but unlikey. so Im just realy dreaming about my future dog, and what kind I should get. lol. I like large dogs, and I like gentle, sort of "lazy" dogs. And I want a short haired breed. I dont want a realy hyper dog. I realy realy like boxers, everything about em seems perfect, but im a lil concerned about there energy level. I also like the hounds, but dont know if theyd be a good indoor dog? Im starting to lean towards a great dane, so if any of ya own these id love to hear about em! and if you have any suggestions about other breeds, let me know!! I already know I want an adult dog, or maybe older puppy. and that I want to adopt. actually I think I want to adopt from a kill shelter, so I will be saving one.
Answers:
Go through the Q%26A on AOL's Dog Breed match, it might give you a starting point: http://aolsvc.decisionguides.aol.com/dog...
Personally I have an English Mastiff and I love the big guy. He's about 170 pounds and is very, very low engery. A walk around the block is about all he needs. Mastiffs definately drool though, so if you're grossed out by drool they're not the breed for you.
You might be interested in a greyhound. Greyhounds are fairly large dogs (they typically weigh anywhere from 40-80 pounds) and there are thousands of greyhounds who need homes each year when they're 'retired' from racing. Contrary to popular belief, greyhounds do not need an abundance of exercise and are commonly described by their owners as being a 40 mph couch potato. A few good runs off-leash in a fenced in area per week is about all they need. There's tons of information about adopting greyhounds on the web...you can start off with http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/...
labs pure or mixed are really calm.
Basset Hound sounds like the perfect dog!
golden retriever
Boxers are wonderful, smart, fun, funny, and good looking dogs.
But, they are very, very active and rambunctious. It's for that very reason that they would not fit into my lifestyle, and, it sounds like they wouldn't really fit yours, either.
Any puppy you get is going to be full of energy.
Would you consider an adult dog from a shelter or rescue? Rescues especially are often able to give you info about the dog's personality and energy level.
And, good for you on planning ahead and giving it a lot of thought. I'm sure whatever dog you pick will have a great home!
I think it's absolutely wonderful that you're considering a shelter dog.
When you decide it's time for you to adopt, I have one great suggestion for you. Many shelters will happily put you on a "wish list" for a particular kind of dog. You will probably have better luck with "lab or lab mix" than if you were to insist upon a purebred dog. But mixes can be wonderful as well.
It sounds to me like you want an adult dog, not a puppy, since you have concerns about energy level, and frankly, all puppies are pretty high energy.
Just to plant the seed of an idea in your head, if you want to save a life, the dog least likely to be adopted, and most likely to be euthanized at a shelter is a large, black, mixed breed adult. And the smartest, most even tempered, sweetest dog I ever had was just that. She had 11 wonderful years with us, took care of many many adopted puppies (ours and other peoples) before she died of cancer last year. It breaks my heart to know that dogs just like her are put down every day. So, you know, consider a big black mixed breed.
Best of luck with your search.
If you don't want hyper you do NOT want a boxer. I love boxers but they bounce off the walls. Hounds tend to be very loud indoors. The best dog to get if you want a dog that will be a big teddy bear is a mastiff. They are great dogs and generally couch potatoes. Just make sure to leash train them at an early age. It's too hard to restrain a 200 pound dog. Great Danes are also good dogs, but need to be exercised very frequently as they are a slender breed.
ummm.... your dog doesn't exist.sorry all dogs have some energy level. but some are different from the breed that they come from. a great p. would be good but have long hair. labs are hyper like a golden . who ever tell you labs are lazy ask them why so many end up in a shelter. oh my a GREAT DANE or mastive. my uncle had some and they thought they were lap dogs and soooooooo lazy. again just do to petfinder.com and look at the dogs in your local shelter and maybe you will find a big lazy dog. they are as unique as us.
I have had really good luck, both with an Alaskan Husky, a retired wheel dog on a sled team, and my current dog, a German Shepard, a rescue whose owner moved into an apartment that doesn't allow pets.
However, I'm told that greyhounds, retired race dogs, are really nice dogs, too. There's a large rescue organization for them.
A full-size poodle, as opposed to a miniature or toy, is a nice "lazy" dog.
None of those dogs are shorthairs, though. A lab may be what you're looking for.
The thing is, after they've lived with you six months, a lot of their personality reflects *your* personality. If you are anxious all the time, a flibberdegibbit, the dog is going to be turning in circles and bouncing off the ceiling. If you're laid back, the dog will tend to be the same way.
Our current dog is happy to be an inside dog, but loves to lie just inside our front door and watch the happenings outdoors. Thank goodness, we have a full-length glass storm door. Our husky was much the same way, except when there was snow outdoors. He really loved to lie in the snow. And I think if we would have hitched him to the front bumper, he'd have loved to pull the van to the supermarket.
Aren't large dogs wonderful?
Why do you like big dogs? Small dogs are just as good but they are normally more on the hyper side! I have a cockerspaniel, and she is the best dog ever! She sleeps outside but is inside most of the day. She is playful and enrgetic but not hyper. She has the most beautiful nature and is always willing to give me a big hug! She is not vicious and she hardly barks at all, and she is soooooo cute! dosen't it just sound like the perfect dog?! I am at school 5 days a week and on the weekend play sports all day, and she stays alone, happy to entertain herself when i'm not around! she is the greatest dog you could ever wish for! She really looks up to me,following me around the house at my heel and being very protective! Lol! She also dosen't shed much hair! i know some other people that have cockerspaniels, and i have never, ever met a cockerspaniel that is not friendly! Some other good breeds are labradors and spoodles!
There is no way a great dane can be a in door dog... I mean they can be in the house and so on but they really need a large yard to run in... They are large and loving though and easily trained... if you have the room and money do it! You have to keep in mid the amount of food you will go through
Think about a dog that would be best in your home I can't tell you what kind of dog to get but you need to think of all the possibilities before you get a dog you are going to have to make a good desicion or you could possibly endanger your family with the dog that your get
A Great Dane sounds like a good dog for you, but understand any medium to large dog will need additional exercise outside of your home. Great Danes are short-haired, gentle, and when given enough exercise are basically couch potatos. But any dog can become destructive and develop behavioral problems when bored or kept cooped up in a house all day long. If exercising the dog everyday doesn't fit into your life style. I would consider a toy dog that can get adequate exercise inside your home. There are a lot of Great Danes, especially older ones, that need a good home. There are tons of Great Dane rescues, basically because people get them as puppies and underestimate the size they get, and the care they need. As for the boxer, they have TONS of energy, especially younger dogs. Most of my friends have one, but they are kept mainly outside and live on a farm...so they have run of their owners property
24/7. I'm not saying you couldn't keep one inside, but they are not considered "lazy". If you are talking about hounds, such as, the Fox Hound, Pointer, Red Bone Coonhound, etc., I, myself, would not keep one as an inside dog. Not only do they have large, loud, unique, voices, but they are still mainly used as hunting dogs. Lots of ENERGY!! A hunting dog, bored, inside a house could be a disaster waiting to happen.
Have you considered an English Mastiff or Bull Matiff? Fits all your requirements, they are a little shorter than the Great Dane, but make up for the height with girth and bone. They are huge! But like the Great Dane, when given proper exercise, are couch potatos. I would research any final desicion thoroughly before rescuing or purchasing any animal. Read several books, search on the web, talk to reputable breeders, whatever you gotta do. I know you have good intentions, but make sure when you get a pet, you are prepared to handle the breed, and the pet doesn't end back up in a bad situation. Thanks for caring enough to ask ahead of time, and not adopting a pet on impulse!

No comments:

Post a Comment