Monday, May 24, 2010

What is a good brand of dry dog food that my dogs will actually eat?

The only dry food they will eat is Eukanuba and Bil-Jac. I have tried Nutro and some other good brands, but they will not eat it. Thanks for any suggestions!
Answers:
I find the responses quite funny. Do you actually think dogs are that picky naturally? Wild dogs don't go looking for Eukanuba or any other so called good brand of dog food. If your dog doesn't eat the food you buy it's because that's OK with you. Are you going to make them flapjacks and eggs for breakfast next? Put the food in the bowl and they'll eat when they get hungry. I guarantee they will not starve themselves to death by refusing to eat what you buy. They have you trained well.
lol, i was going to suggest Eukanuba. My dog wont eat any other dry food. I never thought my dog would be so picky!
You need to pick a good brand and stick with it. No healthy dog will ever starve themselves to death, but constantly changing a dog's food, or giving in and giving them human food, is going to give your dog diarrhea.
They will eat it if you don't give them a choice. Try Wellness, Innova, Candiae, Solid Gold or Timberwolf Organics - you'll be doing your dogs a favor.
I've done some researched since adopting my Weimaraner three weeks ago. Canidae is suppose to be a very good food that most dogs enjoy. I've also heard that Costco's brand Kirkland's dog food is good. You can purchase Canidae anywhere between $30-$40 for a 40 lb. bag. . Costco's is around $18 for a 40 lb. bag.
Try www.canidae.com
My pit will only eat Eukanuba or Pedigree puppy that has crunchy and chewy morsels in it.
Maybe try Kibblesand Bits (or Kibbles and Chucks) or Purina and Imas.
Maybe try them if you havent already. Our threee dogs love Kibbles and bits.
Hopefully it helps
none of my dogs will touch dry food any more i gave up trying , they starved themselves for days, i lost count of the ammount of questions i posted on here about there eating but since researching raw iv successfully changed their diet and there appetite has doubled , i tried all dry food and i mean all that was avaliable in the uk to no avail so i dont bother now..raw it is xx
I have never heard of Bil-Jac.. but I do know that Eukanuba isnt good... Nutro only a slight step up (although some Nutro products are worse)
Sadly you didnt say what country you live in.. some foods are only available in some countries..
in USA - Innova, Canidae, Wellness...
In Canada - NUTRAM, Acana or the above also but they will be more $ as are not Canadian companies...
problems happen if dogs are eating lower quality foods they become addicted to the junk in those foods, much as people on bad diets dont want to eat a healthy apple or salad..
here are some tricks - put the food in the microwave for 15 seconds this will bring out the oils making the food smell yummier.. sprinkle garlic powder on the food.. dogs love garlic...
mix old food that the dog eats with new food..
dogs will eat LESS of a good food becuase it contains more nutrition...(poop less)
DONT BE FOOLED by what "vets" reccommend - vets often receive little or no training on food brands or ingredients - as such they tend to recommend what ever food pays them to recommend it (eg a crappy food like Science Diet)
Royal Canin is a pretty good brand. there's a chemical in it (can't remember what it's called) and it makes dogs want to eat it... [no it's not "fat"] lol. Nutro is a really good brand, they don't use by-products. nutro ultra is holistic. i would never feed my dog bil-jac or kibbles and bits or iams. they have too much junk in them, and not enough nutrients. Oh nutro also makes "desserts" for dogs.. the ingredients in all the nutro food are safe. in the desserts, it tastes like a diabetic dessert[no sugar]. i made my brothers eat part of the pumpkin one! and my dog absolutely loves it. i switched her to that from another brand, the other brand has more fat in it, and she will only eat nutro now. i feed her the weight management one (cuz she's a widdle chubby girl hehe) and she has actually lost weight you can see it.
and nutro also has more nutrients, which your dog's system will absorb, so since there's not a whole lot of 'leftovers' she/he will poop less. which is good for you too - less yard work. win/win situation!!
well good luck choosing, there's a LOT to choose from and it might take a while to find one that's good for your dog that she/he will actually eat. it takes about 7-10 days to switch from one food to another, so just be careful!! hope this helped some!
Blue Seal, all natural....made in New Hampshire
Unfortunately, Bil-Jac and Pukeanuba are some of the worst foods out there.
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com
will tell you why. If your dogs are picky eaters, have them skip a meal and then put down their food bowls at next meal time. Ignore any huge puppy eyes type of behaviors, and don't fuss at them if they eat or if they don't. Your dogs will not starve. They will eventually eat - so don't give in to "I'm starving!" begging behaviors.
http://b-naturals.com/oct2004.php...
I don't know if your dogs are large or small breeds, but all of my dogs go crazy for Orijen. It has a lot of protein in it, so its not recommended for smaller dogs or puppies. It is pretty expensive, but I have never seen a reaction from my dogs for any other food like this one.
My Jack Russell eats Innova. She really likes it. It is a great food too. I also buy the Innova treats too...they have no grain in them...so they are healthy.
My dogs are picky too , but they like Pedigree or The Good Life Recipe. ( I don't switch all the time, just some I've used). But I'm gonna check out Denis B's answer since I live in NH and have never tried Blue Seal

No comments:

Post a Comment