Monday, May 24, 2010

What happens if I miss a heart pill for my dog?

My dog is "healthy" so far...No heart worms,or any other worms what so ever...I had been giving her some heart pills to prevent heart worms for about 7 mths..then i ran out of them and I haven't given her a pill for about 2 mths...is that dangerous?
Answers:
she could be infected with heart worms... get more pills and get back on schedule
that is more of a vet question...
This time of year I would say yes. I have always given my girl year round heartworm because I feel safer that way, but in some areas of the country I've heard some people say they stop giving it in the cold months. I give heartgard and I've heard that if you give it evry month and have at least 2 negative heartworm tests for your dog in the last 2 years they will cover heartworm treatment...provided you get the medication from a registered vet and not online.
the makers of the pills won't tell you this...but it takes six months for a heartworm to fully mature in a dog's body. If you haven't given the pills for two months get them immediately and give them to the dog. (well, ONE) It'd be wise to chek with your vet to make sure that whatever pill you are using kills larval worms, but generally speaking your dog should be safe.
poor doggy, see a vet, get more heart pills, that sweet dog, awww
I don't think you have anything to worry about. Just get him back on schedule. I let mine go throught the winter months because there is simply no mosquitos around here. In the summer you need to be extra careful!!
If your dog stays inside most of the time, she should be okay. But in order to get her back on them she will need blood work to make sure she hasn't contracted the disease.
Yes, your dog needs to be on the medication consistantly to prevent heartworm. Go to your vet asap and get more heartguard and then continue treatment. All of my dogs have been on heartguard since they were puppies.

No comments:

Post a Comment