Monday, May 24, 2010

What happened to my dog?

my dog got sick yesterday a female doberman 10 yrs. old took her to the vet today said her stomach was turned around and she had a fever of 104.6 extremly dehydrated she died an hour later is this a common thing? she was healthy all her life and seemed happy until yesterday when she seemed to fade away
Answers:
This is a condition called Bloat, but medically it is referred to as Gastric Dilation Volvulus (GDV). The symptoms of Bloat are dry heaves, depression, and restlessness. Some people believe that dogs who get Bloat eat primarily dry kibble and then drink too much water. Others link the condition to over-excitement after eating. Although these may be causes, Bloat can also appear for no reason.
This condition almost always occurs in deep-chested dogs considered to be medium to large breeds. Some of the more commonly affected breeds besides the Doberman include Great Danes, Irish Setters, German Shepherds, and Afghan Hounds.
The reason one can lose a dog so quickly to Bloat is this -- When the stomach is distended with air, it puts pressure on the large veins in the abdomen that carry blood back to the heart. Without quick and proper return of blood, the output of blood from the heart is diminished, and the tissues are deprived of blood and oxygen. The dog often goes into shock.
If blood supply is not restored quickly, the wall of the stomach begins to die and it may rupture. If that occurs, the spleen's blood supply will also be impaired. The spleen is attached to the stomach wall and shares some large blood vessels. When the stomach twists, the spleen is also rotated to an abnormal position and its vessels are compressed. Digestion stops. This results in the accumulation of toxins.
The medical emergency escalates from there.
I am so very sorry you lost your girl to bloat. But you had 10 AWESOME years with her. She knew you loved her, and the depth of that love was clearly understood at the end.
I lost my one DoberGirl at 14 to Wobblers. Its NEVER enough time, but I made sure each of the 1,460 days I had with her were filled with laughter, love, and yes -- treats! I'm sure you did the same thing. No dog could ask for more.
sad, but can happen with larger breeds.the stomach or inestine wil twist cutting off blood supply .. it can happen seemingly without warning... sorry for your loss.
the stomach turning can be a very sudden thing. i think u would find the book marley and me kind of interesting. i think u just would. ur not the only one who went through this. i hope this helps
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksea...
i dont know if this will help or hurt u but it is a good story and i personally loved it
So sorry to hear about your loss, I don't know about the illness, I just wanted to say sorry.....Dianne
I am so sorry! That is very sad.
It sounds like bloat. It occurs mainly in older, deep chested, large breed dogs. The stomach becomes closed on both ends with food, water and/or gas. It tightens up like a drum and then it can twist on its axis.
No one seems to know what causes it or exactly how to prevent it. It does appear to run in families so there is a genetic component. Here is a link to more information on the disorder. I don't think many people with susceptible dogs know about it.
Best to you at this sad time.
i'm very sorry for your loss. yes this can be rather common in deep chested dogs such as your dobie. the deepness of their chest can allow the stomach to twist and bloat. in order to save the dog veterinary surgery is needed immediatly. and even then many dogs still die from the torsion. since it cuts off blood flow to many other organs. you did nothing wrong, and could not have prevented it. it's a very sad thing that happens. again, i'm very sorry.
It sounds like bloat,or gastric torsion.It's very common in some large breed dogs.I had a 14 year old GSD who had it and although his stomach wasn't twisted( he was just full of gas),and my vet passed a tube to relieve the pressure,he had complications and had to be put down the next day.I feel for you and know that you're probably feeling guilty,but there's not much you could have done,it comes on quickly and some dogs do great with surgery,while others die quickly.I'm sorry about your dog.
I'm so sorry to hear about your furbaby. As everyone has said, it does happen to many dogs and it's a fast death, very hard to catch. I've been told to feed my dogs less food, twice a day to help prevent this and no exercise or running around for an hour after they eat. Still it can happen. I'm sure you are devastated but there is really nothing you could have done.
First of all I want to say I am so sorry to hear of the loss of a devine pet.
I have heard of this %26 seen programs on TV regarding a dog's stomache turning, but I have not experienceed it with any of my dogs. I have no idea how this occurs.
I do want to tell you that the Doberman Pinscher Club has a program for any dobie that lives to be ten years old or more. You can register her. Just an act of respect %26 in memory of , for your girl. Here is the site to register her http://www.dpca.org/longevty/longevity/i... Simply click on LC Application and fill it out. They will have her name %26 yours posted on the site %26 send you an 8x10 certificate.
Again, I am so sorry!
I am so sorry to hear about your dog - hope you feel ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment