Friday, May 21, 2010

What dog pants more, long hair dogs or short hair dogs?

I think that short hair dogs pant a lot less than long hair dogs on hot days. Is this PROOF that you should shave or cut your dog's hair in the summer to keep him comfortable? I think its pretty "clear cut" if you ask me!
Answers:
i think they pant the same amount. i have bulldogs(which are short hair) and schnauzers(long hair, with hair cuts) and they pant the same amount. in fact they bulldog pants more b/c of his shortened nose...
No it isn't clear cut...and some dogs fur actually keep them cooler...shaving will do nothing...many snub nose dogs have short hair...and they sure as heck pant alot...your "theory is incoreect...
You're on a real roll about this shaving thing, aren't you? I've always associated shaved dogs with dogs who's owners didn't feel any particular urge to groom. Sorry, I've just seen too many of those poor critters all matted up and looking mighty miserable, and yep I bet a shave feels pretty darn good to them. But with you it's just a question of if they get hot in the summer? You sure are insistent about it, so go ahead and shave away.
I'd never shave my dog though. If I like a breed, I like the breed. I've even had Collies, one was a tri (mostly black) and he did get hot during the day, but he didn't suffer any more than my short hair that has a black coat. Hmm..maybe we should shave all the dogs with black color coats too?
BTW my Collies died of old age, not heat strokes lol :) I just used a little common sense to make sure they never got over heated
P.S. I have no idea which pants more. I doubt anyone really ever really took an accurate measurement to compare...anyone know?
i have 2 english bulldogs and they are short haired and they pant more then any other dogs that i have owned!

1 comment:

  1. Panting of dogs doesn't depend upon the size of their hair. They perspire irrespective of their hair size. Talking about dogs' hair, every owner of dog should know that their pets need grooming. Brush them regularly with soft bristle comb.

    Regards,
    Perrie Jinnie
    Pet Grooming Tips

    ReplyDelete