Friday, May 21, 2010

What else can I try to potty train my dogs to pee and poo out on the porch?

I have a yorkie and a peke poo and they are both 5 months old. I live in an apartment and I have been trying to get them to pee and poo out on the patio (I leave the patio door open all day) yet they still don't get it. Sometimes they just come in and pee on the carpet. I have tried treats and praising them when they go outside but nothing. I really want my dogs to be able to run around the apartment without limitng there space but I dont want any surprises.
Please, any tips would be awesome. Thanks!
Answers:
With my dog, I just let her out in the morning and wait until she pees and poos then I take her inside.
I do the same in the evening.
For my dog, consistency is key.
I did it enough times that she now will only pee on the wee-wee pad and poop outside.
Small breeds tend to be more difficult to house train, from what I've heard. Consider a ''potty training seminar'' with a local trainer, and purchase puppy pads (once they learn to go on the puppy pads, you can move them closer and closer to the patio. Eventually having the pups go potty on the patio.)
you need to crate train them and get them on a feeding/pooping schedule. Once you've been really consistent and they've got it down you can start leaving the crate door open so they can have freedom. I have a pug and i'm crate training her...so far so good so now i leave the crate door open at night.eventually i'll start leaving it open while i'm at work but until i'm SURE that she will NOT go in the house, she's got to be crated. My parents didn't want to crate thier dog and they're constantly frustrated b/c the dog cannot be trusted alone in the house. She has to go outside when they leave b/c she'll find a place and just go. Crate training works
well u bought 2 not intellegent dog breeds so ur screwed.
Get a 2x4 %26 a piece of plywood. Cut the 2x4 into 4 pieces. Make a square out of them. Attach the plywood to the bottom. Fill the "box" with dirt %26 grass seed. Put it on your porch. Some dogs, especially small ones, are picky about where they go. If they poop in the house, pick it up %26 put it in the grass. Eventually they'll get the message.

No comments:

Post a Comment