Friday, May 21, 2010

What goes in your dogs crate?

When he was a tiny puppy we tried putting towels, blankets, and even pillows in there all with the same result. As soon as he talked into the crate he would immediatly grab it and put it on the floor outside. It doesnt seem like it would be comfortable to lay on the plastic bottom that is directly on the wood floor, but I cant find anything that he likes in there.
Of course there are a few things to do in there, but just him and some things to chew if he wakes up. Should there be anything else?
Answers:
I had the same problem with my dog until I got a type of dog bed which comes with bumpers attached to it and is the exact size of the crate bottom. He no longer picks it up or tries to get it off the bottom of the crate, and I can also put a few toys in the crate with him. My dog is a constant chewer and will chew anything he can wrap his teeth around, but this type of bed, he can not chew, nor has he tried to. I hope this works for you, good luck!
i like the idea of the dog and one favorite toy.
I have dogs that love fluffy blankets, dogs that just want a think sheet in there, dogs that want nothing at all in their crate.. Not sure why, I would want a blanket in there myself, but some just do not want anything in their crate.. If he doesn't want anything don't force it on him, you might find that he starts shredding or eating the blankets ...
My dog's crate has:
- crate-liner bed
- water dish (the kind that attached to the side of the cage)
- 2 toys (a kong %26 a bone, nothing that she could destroy or choke on while I'm gone)
I have noticed that sometimes she lies on the bed and uses the bumper-edge like a pillow, and then sometimes she borrows underneath it.
EDIT:
Here's my dog's crate for a visual reference: http://www.areakode.com/abbyful/segami/p...
I'd get a fake sheepskin and sleep with it for a few nights so it gets soaked with your smell. Bare floor sucks.
Get a kong and stuff it with peanut butter, then freeze it for few hours.
Water dish secured on the door so it doesn't tip over.
Good luck.
My pup was accepting of a beach towel and a pillow. Of course all of his chew toys are in there too. It sounds like you dog may just prefer nothing on the bottom of the crate. Do you have carpeting in you place. I also got small carpet samples from my local carpet store. They were only a dollar a piece. Its just short pile and burbur but he likes both of those also. Hope this helps!
My pup has a pink and white, fluffy, and much too expensive doggie bed I purchased at Target. I call it her little princess bed. I had to maneuver it to get it into the crate, so she would have a hard time pulling it out. However, when you are first training the only time your doggie should be inside his/her house is with the door closed, thus nothing gets pulled out. For example, your bedtime is pup's bedtime. When you leave for work, school, etc. it's house-time again. Just be sure the minute you get home it is outside time.
As just about anyone does, structure and routine is the key. Badly trained or untrained dogs can make life miserable for everyone. Think of the extra time spent as an investment in a wo/man's best friend.
Gee, that was corny - but true. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment