Thursday, July 30, 2009

What did you do with your dog's ashes?

My dog is nearing death and I was wondering what everyone did with their ashes. We don't want to bury them in the yard cause if we move then we won't have them anymore. It would just be easier to tae them along. What neat sentimental ways are there of keeping the ashes? Any good web sites for this type of thing. Not interested in spending an obscene amount of money but we do care for him a lot and have had him for 13+ years so I'm open for any suggestions.
If you know of any companies or whatever that specialize in this or of where you can look into this kind of thing please let me know. I appreciate it much! He's very close to my heart and like a brother to me.
Answers:
Make a garden stone out of quik-crete, the ashes and some pretty glass or pretty stones. You can find a form at a hardware store like Lowe's or Home Depot. Set pretty stones/glass whatever reminds you of him in the bottom. Mix up the quik-crete with your dogs ashes and pour slowly into the mold. When the mold dries/sets up you can remove it from the form. Remember things set in the form will be backwards from how you lay them when you view it from the top. There are kits for this, but they don't mention adding the ashes.
You can have a memorial box painted with a picture of your dog or a photo decoupaged onto the lid. I used to do that for a living.
You can have the ashes pressed into a diamond.
So sorry to hear about your situation. I have the ashes of all of mine in little cedar wood boxes. The boxes are on the top shelf of my bookcase with a picture of each of the dogs. Their names are engraved on top of the boxes.
My dogs ashes are in a hand carved wooden box with a brass name plate and a bow sitting on a shelf in my family room.
I believe I have seen these at PetSmart, and if not, I have definately seen them on the internet. It's a pet urn. You can put their ashes in there, and a lot of them have a nice quote engraved, or I've seen a few that are more like a wooden box and you can actually insert a picture of your pet on the outside.
I'm so sorry about your dog. I had my cat cremated and put his ashes in a wooden urn that had a space for a picture of him. Some people think it's creepy, but I couldn't bear the thought of scattering him or burying him. Your vet can cremate your dog and they may sell the urns. I think I spent about $70 on the cremation and another $30-50 on the urn.
you can either bury the box or throw the ashes in the wind
My old dog Cookie died and we took his body and gave him to a local funeral home and they burnt him to ashes for us. My parents put the ashes in an urn. The urn sits on our dining room shelf.
I would keep half in a container of some sort to keep with you and the other half i would throw in the wind in a place he liked playing at
We had purchased nice urns for them and kinda made them the way we wanted, like my little girl whom recently passed was a avid ball player. So we took and glued one of her favorite balls to the top of the urn with her picture and engraved her name there with a lill saying, "may you play ball in heaven". Things like that mean more to me cause it comes from your heart..I wouldn't want to bury the either.. I want to be able to take them with me no matter where i may live.. I am so sorry you have to go through with this, it is such a hard part of life to go through.. My thoughts are with you in your time of need..
awww yeah we had our dog for about 13 years too.since she was a puppy so its really hard loosing her.she was in pain so we had to put her to sleep .although i wish we had her ashes we put her at our grandparents house since they wont be moving but my grand parents also recently lost there dog and they put her ashes in a rectangular wooden box with her picture on it and if course a lock so try something like that its definitly best im not sure about websites sorry and sorry about your dog.i completly understand what your going through.
the best of luck!
I put them inside a duck decoy. That way they still get to go duck hunting whenever I do.
If you can 't afford to have him cremated it's a nice idea to bury him underneath a tree or bush in your garden . That's where my dog is . That way they live on through the tree.
All of my dog's ashes are in an urn in a drawer the china cupboard along with their collars and tags.
My first lab is buried in the yard where my ex husband still lives. It drives me nuts that I had to leave my dog there. He never liked that dog. (Guess why he's an ex husband).
I know this may sound crazy, but when I die, I want them all buried with me.
We have kept all the ashes of our 3 dogs and rabbit.
My dog now is only 4 so he has many years left. But i think when he goes i will "dump" (for lack of a better word) his ashes at the 1000+acre dog park we go to everyday, he LOVES it there so I think it would be a nice place to put his ashes. That is if I am still close by this park when he is gone.
I dug a 10-inch deep hole in the back yard and put the ashes their along with a Crape Myrtle tree a few years ago, now I have a beautiful flowering tree in his memory.
i saw this in a pet magazine. an alternative to keeping or burying the ashes is a thing called Life Gem. this is from their website: "The LifeGem 庐 is a certified, high-quality diamond created from the carbon of your loved one as a memorial to their unique life. "
I think it's a little odd, but if you want to keep your pet with you, this would be one way.
well i dont have a dog, never did, so i wont have ashes either..but i would probably scatter a bit on his favourite place to walk, and keep the rest in the urns everyone's talking about
my 12 yr old friend (putz) is in a tin can with lid with paw prints on it ...sitting on my fireplace mantel since march..
When my Lab died last year I put his ashes in the river. He loved to swim in it. Then I tossed in his favorite toy. I know it was considered littering but, I couldn't help myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment