Thursday, July 30, 2009

What can you feed an anorexic dog?

I have the cutest 11 months old puppy. She is as sweet as she could be, but feeding her is a constant battle. There is no dog food she likes, I tried almost all brands and she only eats select ones when she is starving. There are very few treats she eats as well. The only thing she likes is human turkey, beef, dairy products, and human canned tuna (she refuses to eat generic store brands either). She is small for her breed (Cavalier spaniel), and her eating habits make me worried. I can't cook, even for myself, so fancy home-made meals for her is not an option. I tried feeding her turkey but then she gets diarrhea from eating too much, plus I'm worried that she won't get a balanced diet. If anybody has any suggestions as to what I could feed her, I'd really appreciate it.
Answers:
I would try going to your local pet store and asking for food samples. Make sure the food is healthy and natural. This article will tell you more:
http://www.api4animals.com/facts.php?p=3...
If you can't cook, raw may be an option for you. I feed a really great premade one called Stella and Chewys.
One food that is popular with picky eaters is Merrick. You can add water to the dry food and it makes a gravy.
Hi, i have a cockerspainel/sheepdog. When she was a baby she would not eat her dog food either. It drove me nuts, you name the dog food i bought it. Finally just to fill her belly i gave her chicken noodle soup. Then after a little while i just poured the broth over dry food. After that nothing, she ate on her own. Try mixing veggies in with her food also. It can't hurt her, but try not to give alot of milk product that will give her the runs. Don't give her alot at first, don't want to upset her belly. As a reward i gave Phoenix a TWIZZLER every time she cleaned her bowl. It worked for me.
Try this..holistic! My dogs love it! http://www.bluebuff.com/
Take her to the vet. Find out whether it's a picky dog, or maybe a medical issue?
My friend had this problem with a cat she found. It wouldn't eat anything. Eventually the vet gave her a milk looking formula of sorts. It was packed full of vitamins and stuff. Wish I remembered what it was called.
It helped, but the cat never fully recovered to a natural weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment