Friday, July 31, 2009

What do I do when my dog eats his own poop?

I notice that when I come back from my long day of work, the floor is clean with no poop. Then I realize that he's been eating them. My friend told me that dogs like to do that to clean up after themselves but I think that's very disgusting. I heard there's something you can put into his food so he'll stop eating them. Any suggestions?
Answers:
There is medicine you can buy at many pet stores. This condition is known as coprophagia. You may consult your vet as well because this could be do to a deficiency in your dogs system. This is a picture of the medicine. http://www.petco.com/product/102753/natu...
Ever Time You catchh your dog doing it say clearly "ATAT" and if it stops give it a treat and in most cases a dog will stop ! Hope It Helps
i just say clean up the poop before it can eat it
you can make garlic/cheese/apple cookies for your dog(they love them) and if you dont want to do that, sprinkle some garlic powder(a little) over his poop. they love the taste and when it comes out the other end it smell bad so they wont eat it. IT WORKS!
p.s your dog can not digest all the fatty partials in its food so the poo is fatty and taste good. so you might need to change dog food. or your dog had a compulsive disorder. if everything fails go to the vet
Usually there are 2 very common reasons for this. 1) your dog is not getting a well balanced or higher quality food so it's body is telling him to eat his poo because his body is lacking a nutrient(s) and 2) you're current food is too high in protein and your dog is not using it all so he eats the poop to absorb it again (over 35% is considered high protein) try a higher quality, lower protein food, perhaps 20 some odd percent. and give it a few days, if nothing happens in a week, the dog food company called Solid Gold makes s.e.p. (Stop Eating Poop)powder to add to the kibble.good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment