Friday, July 31, 2009

What do people have against the HSUS?

I've seen why people distrust PeTA, but a cursory glance at the HSUS website hasn't revealed to me what is so wrong with them. Can anyone explain?
BTW - I'm from the UK, I know virtually nothing about them - I've just seen so much vitriol aimed at them on this site and I'm interested to know why.
Answers:
They are bedmates with PeTA.
Wayne Pacelle, head of HSUS, has stated that he wants to do away with domestic animals (including pets).
“We have no ethical obligation to preserve the different breeds of livestock produced through selective breeding ...One generation and out. We have no problems with the extinction of domestic animals. They are creations of human selective breeding.”
— Animal People News, May 1993
The HSUS does not own or operate a single shelter. They do not help animals, most of their money goes to legislative efforts to limit our ability to own and enjoy our animals.
They are currently under investigation for misuse of funds raised from the Katrina disaster.
They have raised a fortune in donations over the Michael Vick dogs, even though they are NOT caring for them.
While they are not as extreme in their public image as PeTA, they are, perhaps, even more dangerous because they *appear* to be respectable.
http://www.activistcash.com/organization...
http://www.bloggernews.net/19114...
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/storie...
“I don’t have a hands-on fondness for animals…To this day I don’t feel bonded to any non-human animal. I like them and I pet them and I’m kind to them, but there’s no special bond between me and other animals.” Wayne Pacelle quoted in Bloodties: Nature, Culture and the Hunt by Ted Kerasote, 1993, p. 251.

When asked if he envisioned a future without pets, “If I had my personal view, perhaps that might take hold. In fact, I don’t want to see another dog or cat born.” Wayne Pacelle quoted in Bloodties: Nature, Culture and the Hunt by Ted Kerasote, 1993, p. 266.
EDIT: Goldengal, I believe that was PeTA, it's the kind of stunt they like to pull.
it's just the name of a shelters like the RSPCA here
HSUS is similar to PETA. Extremist terrorist organization willing to stop at nothing to eliminate all animals and pets from our life. The only reason you should ever see an animal is if a bird flies over your head. (Actually, I don't know if HSUS is a terrorist organization, but their close ally PETA definitely is.)
Here's a quote from the first article below: "I once saw a very fitting analogy, the difference between PeTA and the HSUS is like the difference between a mugger and a con man - they both steal your money but they have different tactics, and a different timetable. PeTA is a mugger that tries to force its agenda quickly through propoganda and violence, while the HSUS is a con man who is slowly infiltrating government and society looking for a long term realization of the same goals."
The reason I don't like them is that when I donated $20 to them once I kept getting these free "gifts" in the mail (wrapping paper, stationary, electronic calculator/organizer, cards, etc.) I don't mind when companies send me a few return address labels as a thank you gift but the humane society of the US (HSUS) sent an abnormal amount of gifts. I thought, "Is this what my donation is going towards? I thought my funds went to help animals, not to received cheap gifts in the mail all the time. I know those gifts were probably very inexpensive to the HSUS but I really wished they didn't waste the time, money, and postage on them. They should spend more of their time, money, and postage on helping the homeless animal. If you want to donate, give to your local humane society, that way you know what's happening to your money.
HSUS is a splinter group allied with PETA. Same goals same calling as PETA. They have been a bit more violent than PETA. But in all they are the same.
Dont be fooled by their web site, they have some pretty strange people who belong to this group. Some very violent things have been going on with this group also.
I can't remeber when it was but they staged a demostration in NY City and were throwing blood at people saying it was the blood of all the animals people kept. It turned out to be goats blood but it was still pretty drastic. They were all arrested.
I'm going to star the question and hopefully someone can explain it better than I.

NOTE:
Bassetnut were they not the group who was responsible for the incident in NY City with the blood throwing? Or am I getting that mixed up with PETA? Not that it matters all that much.
Thanks Bassetnut!
See I knew if I stared it someone could better explain it! Thanks Jennifer T, and everyone!
THey have been for years doing deceptive funds collection. They advtised for funds for the pets of the 9-11 attack victioms and- did nothing except harrass the handlers of the search %26 rescue dogs (too dangerous for the dogs- never mind the handers were right there too) One handler claims to have asked them for a drink of water for the dog - they would not give it to him. They did the same for funds for Katrina pets - thats under investigation for misappropration of funds . I understand they have gotten the attention of the US atterney general collecting funds for the care of Mike Vick's dogs - which they have nothing to do with....
The HSUS has adopted most of the positions touted by PeTA. The ultimate goal of both is now to eradicate ALL animals in human lives, including pets. The HSUS especially grates my cheese in they portray themselves as housing homeless and abused animals, but in the very fine print on their website, they admit they operate NO shelters, and in fact, CHARGE legitimate shelters for any assistance requested. Wayne Pacelle is especially repugnant to me. He comes right out and admits he really doesn't even LIKE animals.
HSUS is currently being investigated by the FBI for soliciting funds to pay for the care of accused dog fight proprieter Michael Vick, when in fact, they do NOT have, nor ever will have these dogs, since they operate NO shelters. They are solely politically motivated. They sincerely make me want to vomit.
Here are a few HSUS quotes:
Michael Fox, Head of HSUS's Center for Respect for Life and Environment:
"Humane treatment is just sentimental, sympathetic patronage."
John Hoyt, Chief Executive Officer of the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS):
"Don't breed (dogs) don't buy, don't even accept giveaways." (Summer HSUS News 1991)
Nina Austenberg, HSUS Regional Director:
"We don't have time for the miracle of life for dogs and cats." (Interview in "Throwaway Pets" PBS video, 1993)
Wayne Pacelle, National Director of Fund for Animals: (Now HSUS honcho)
"One generation and out. We have no problem with the extinction of domestic animals. The are creations of human selective breeding."
"We have no ethical obligation to preserve the different breeds of livestock produced through selective breeding."-(Animal People, May, 1993)
I dislike the HSUS with a passion because they misrepresent themselves. The HSUS has recieved millions in donations yet they have not built, operated, or funded a single animal shelter. I think that when many people donate to the HSUS they assume it's similiar to donating to the ASPCA or local humane society when in reality they are only funding extreme animal rights activists and not helping animals in their community.
Everybody has done a fine job of explaining the problems with HSUS, so I will not elaborate further, BUT keep in mind that many states have a Humane Society, that do run shelters and such. The Humane Society at the state level, is not the same. (As far as I know - feel free to enlighten me if I am wrong.)
Thanks everyone, I did not know this. I thought the HSUS was similar to ASPCA. I know where my donations are not going(HSUS)!
Standing ovation for those answers, you people! Well Done! :D
Keep on getting the truth out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment