Thursday, July 30, 2009

What do i do if my puppy doesn't eat dry food? what food do you recommend me to use?

my dog is a labrador retriver she is 2 months old.
Answers:
what you might try doing is put a little bit of water on the food and heat it up (let it cool down to room temp before giving it to her). it may be because her teeth hurt or aren't strong enough yet to chew the food. if this works, gradually make the food dryer until she is on plain dry food.
if this doesn't help, talk to your vet, there may be something more serious such as a jaw problem.
Mix some cheese in it real good.
She will eat dry food eventually she'll get hungry enough. I reccommend Nutro Ultra or Bil Jac. You might want to go with Bil Jac since you're having troubke getting her to eat. It is absolutely irresistable to dogs and also ALOT easier to chew even though it is dry. I STRONGLY discourage canned food. It does nothing for a dog's dental health. It gives them bad breath and lots of tarter on her teeth.
Mix a good canned food in with the dry kibble. A 2 month old puppy still has relatively soft teeth and shouldn't be given totally dry food anyway.
mix half wet food in with half dry food
this way your dog will eat the food
or you can buy dog gravy to pour over your dogs dry food
or sometimes simply adding water to your dogs dry food will make her eat the food.
She might be a bit young yet for the hard stuff being that she just got weaned from her mom and all. Try mixing in a bit of water with the food to soften it up for her and gradually add less water until she eats it completely dry. Also stick it out. No healthy dog will ever starve themselves if food is available.
Instead of dry food, use canned food like well you know Umm...
"Cesares"It's in the dog sectoin at the Grocery store I hope your puppy likes that canned food... my puppy did. So good luck!
a dog will eat collard greens if it gets hungry enough. maybe try a gravy train type of dry food and see if she will eat that. i feed my dogs dry food fulltime.
Add a little moisture to the puppy's meal. You can also hold her and hand feed her little bits. But if you got her in the past 2 days, she is not going to eat. New surroundings. Give the puppy the chance to adjust. She misses her old surroundings. Within 3 days she will be jumping around as though she has been living there forever.
i once had that problem. i fed it hard food but i put it in a little bit of milk and mashed it. that way it gets the protean and nutrients from hard food but with a little treat of milk.
moisten it a little bit, less and less everyday, until she eats the dry food alone. dry food is best to keep their teeth clean, but it can be hard for young puppies to chew it. just put a little warm water in with the food, to soften it up.
I feed my dogs Eagle Pack Holistic Select. It is a really good food and even my picky guys eat it.
At 8 weeks old your baby is still a baby and has small soft teeth. You should be feeding a high quality puppy food and moisten it with water. I have also given my babies a tablespoon of yogurt mixed in with their food.
When I was weaning my puppies I ground up the puppy food to make it like a powder and added canned goats milk just enough to make it the consistency of oatmeal.they LOVED it. I gradually started leaving more whole pieces of dog food and mixing it with the goats milk.
Now that my guys are adults they eat the Eagle pack food and once a week I mix in a raw egg and a tablespoon of yogurt. They love it as a treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment